Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lily's doll

Lily's baby doll broke her leg this morning. I returned home around 8:15 to find Lily on her bedroom floor, rocking her doll whom she had tenderly burritoed in a blanket. Lily's small frame curled over her bundle as her gentle motion sought to soothe someone. Lilii (LI-LE), the doll, or Lily, I couldn't say. I nearly cried as she told me what had happened. I feel a little devastated. I can't fix her 'good as new.' Tonight, we unwrapped the precious doll to inspect the break. We talked about a treatment plan, then we tenderly rewrapped Lilii in the soft pastel patterned blanket and tucked her into Lily's bed. Then I tucked my Lily in.  I shouldn't cry over a doll, but how could my heart not break when I think of how much Lily loves and cares for that doll who has gone so many places with us.  Watching my baby rock her baby flooded me with the sadness of my little girl. And so now, I shed tears over the broken leg of a doll.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    I love you Kira Holladay!

    ReplyDelete