Friday, June 5, 2009

But why?

We read Disney's Pocahontas tonight. Just the ladies. Rebekah quickly pointed out that the Indians were "not modest." It was true. The both girls contributed to the discussion which continued with ... "Why weren't they modest?" "Why is it okay for men to not wear shirts sometimes?" "Why can't we wear tank tops?" "All the girls in Lafayette wore tank tops, but me." "They were cute. Tabitha had a pink one with a different color pink thread making a decisions with sequence on it. Here. Here. And here. Here...and here." "It would be nice to wear tank tops when it is hot in summer." "How come?"

I had to think about this one while the girls waited for me. How do you explain this to a 5 and a 7 year old? I did the best I could and they didn't have any more questions. However, we are going to the fabric store tomorrow to get ready to make some cute, modest shirts. How else do you teach a girl that modest can be as beautiful as you make it? AND WHY ARE THEY TAG TEAMING ME??

4 comments:

  1. Hard questions, but you gave a great answer. Plus, who can argue against cute new shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best answer to give is because the prophet said so. Sure, there are other reasons why it's important, but the most important reason is that the prophet said so and he speaks for God, so it's like Heavenly Father saying so. :) I imagine you've probably used this one before, though.

    So you never tag-teamed against your mom with your sisters? (vicious chuckle here) I can't wait to see your girls again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love girls!! Sooo sweet. And they know just how to put their Mom in a tight spot. I'm glad you are raising girls to be great examples to me and my girl. Keep lookin modest in hard design times. Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I always cringe when questions like this come up. Not because of the answer, but because I have a hard time coming up with an answer they will understand.
    I like Sara Lyn's response, but I can just see Savannah asking, "but why"?

    ReplyDelete