Sunday, February 1, 2009

Aging

I'm not really talking about my age.  Only my history.  My in-laws have a very old, well-worn ORANGE couch in their livingroom.  Seth tells me stories about doing flips on this thing.  I have seen it loaded with a lot of people, I mean A LOT of people. Why not replace the old couch?  I never asked this. I never really wondered, but this week I learned why.

For 8 years, we dragged a rather old, unbalanced upholstered rocker around. I have rocked, slept, nursed, and read to all of my children in that chair. Here is it:

We filled it with 2, then 3, and occasionally 4 kids and one parent.  We brought stacks of books to the chair and read, all squished together, until I was too tired.  I have fallen over in that chair with all four of my babies.  It squeakily rocked a very loud Lily, a sick Rebekah, a congested John, and a cuddly Sam.  I am kind of attached to the silly thing.  Alas, Seth told me I couldn't move it this time. This week, I gave my chair away.  Part of me wants to cry. My children are growing. My life, location, and demands are changing again. It is a bit like leaving a piece of me behind and attempting to replace it. It is just a chair, but it is more. I hope the ORANGE couch is always there, because it really is more than a couch. So much more.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kira! This reminded me of all the beloved stuff I've lost or given away through the years. Oh well. It's just stuff. Remember our handcart pioneer mothers!!!! If it gives any perspective, we had 1,000 lbs. of STUFF for every year of marriage, to tote at our last move from Orlando to Washington. You better start giving away now!

    Love,
    Mona
    http://monasgospelmusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I, too love that orange couch. I hope it's always there. I'm sorry you had to give away your special chair. At least you have the picture of it to put in your scrapbook and write your memories of it. I'm sure you'll never forget it.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete