Lily asked for a pet for Christmas. She didn't get one. She asked for her birthday. We settled on a fish. This betta's name is Clementine. It is the only healthy not-blue-or-purple betta I have ever seen. The only one that looks like a goldfish. And she picked it.
Because of this fish, I know I am not ready for a dog (something we seriously discussed). When I walk past the room where the fish lives, it swims around like it's excited. The fish looks at you, watches you. I worry about the fish's happiness and worry about it being lonely. You could say it's just a fish, because it sure is. It would seem, however, that being just a fish is enough to rouse my compassion and concern. Can you image what I would be like with a dog who barks and whines when it is sad or lonely? All this, to say nothing of the cleaning and feeding duties.
Lily loves her fish. I hope it never dies.
Betta fish can live up to 5 years if you take care of them right. They also jump so be careful how high you fill up tank or it might jump out. That is seriously one of the prettiest betta fish I have ever seen!!!
ReplyDelete