Friday, August 17, 2012

Mamahood

I was going to write a fantastic oration on the plight of shopping, but I was distracted by an email and I wrote a letter back. A letter! Can you believe it? Not a text or a one liner, but an actual letter with multiple paragraphs organized by subject. Boy, that just doesn't happen often enough. Someone, write me a letter. A good one. The last real letter I received was not welcome. I want a good-happy-glad-we're-friends letter. I am so demanding.

I went to Wal-mart today with all my kids. That is totally normal. I always have everyone whenever we go anywhere. Shopping in most varieties was fine with 2, 3, and even 4 kids. With an almost 2 year old for a baby along with the four others, it is no longer fine and the baby is usually the easy one.  Today, I forgot the list I have written. I had in my head a mental list of
1. Things to buy at this store
2.  Current state of the budget
3. Thinks I need to do today
4. Things I should do today
5. Things I want to to do today
6. Things I should do today but do not want to do today or ever, maybe
7. Where is child #1?
8. Where is child #2?
9. Where is child #3?
10. Where is child #4?
11. Where is child #5?
12. Store layout, including most efficient way to get out

Apparently I overloaded my system by entering the store. Between my mental lists, the florescent lights mixed with the dim skylight, and the over-stimulation caused by the shelves filled with colorful, wordy products, I felt like SPLAT. Nice. That's the only way I can describe it. It was not good. I have never had such a difficult time keeping myself together in a public place.  We were relatively quick with me having to close my eyes with my fingertips pressed to my forehead for information recall only a few times.   By the time we were on our way home, a child who I shall not name whispered something about my inability to hear requests and I felt like she had smeared my splattedness. 

So, dear mom of multiple children if you ever feel like a dropped egg that went SPLAT, please know you are not alone, and please tell me how you cleaned yourself up. I still feel a little smashed.

4 comments:

  1. You got a letter?! In the mail?! Fun!!!!!

    Sorry about the splat feeling. You are a GREAT mom. (Triple underline great.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love getting letters too kira, so if you ever feel like having a pen pal - let me know :). i always have that splat feeling when i shop. i hate to shop. i get overwhelmed...not hard to do really, but still

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy I stopped by today. I smiled on this one. I have been there many times. However, one day my husband offered to take our three sons ages, 18 months, 5 and 7; while I stayed home with a new baby. While at the store the boys quickly found out that Dad wasn't watching close enough and they began to throw into the cart extra items. When they finally landed at the checkout. The baby tossed a carton of eggs on the floor. He came home and said I didn't have to shop with kids again. However, due to many circumstances I did have to take children once in a while.
    Blessings to you!
    http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kira, this is why I was so excited for school to start. It gives me those few precious moments to shop with just the baby. The tension is already leaving my shoulders as I type this! I think I should start writing you a good-happy-glad we're friends letter now.

    ReplyDelete