Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Risotto

A rice I cannot burn crossed my stove tonight. It is not the brown or long grain white rice I usually inflict on my family.  It was Arborio rice.  Thank you, Italy, for making me stick to the stove. Only one person complained and he is least picky in the family. Baby loved it. Three year old asked for more. Lily didn't even voice complaint (or a compliment, but no complaining is as good as one). That's a record. Now, to be honest, the man wasn't home for dinner, so I can't say for him. But I think he might like it, especially with baked chicken and a thick slice of (European, not necessarily French) bread. A slew of recipes are here.  Whatever they say, the secret to smooth and creamy risotto is at the end.  Remove it from the heat you've been subjecting your hand to for the last 45 minutes and vigorous stir in 2 T butter and 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Just hope it reheats well.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for happy eaters! Ironically, risotto is the rice I have the most trouble with. I have a DELICIOUS recipe for apple risotto that I should bring you. It tastes like apple pie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete