Thursday, May 31, 2012

My little brother graduated from high school today.

I took my family to the ceremony. After one and a half hours, the procession began and for 3 seconds, I shouted for an 18 year old boy.  He was one of the first three rows. There were 702 graduates today. We left early.  Rebekah asked why graduating was such a big deal. I said something about growing up, end of childhood, big decisions. She was not satisfied. At dinner, Lily repeated the question and Rebekah answered in the most bored, monotone voice with the half closed eyelid look.

The event was an experience for all of us. Sam and Adam threw fits. John was whining before it started. We did origami the whole time, put on a show for everyone behind us, and provided interactive play for the row in front of us.  Sam stepped on Adam's fingers. Adam took Sam's paper. John tripped on the stadium stairs as we made our escape drawing even more attention to us.  Despite the onslaught of little voices during the program, I heard what the valedictorian had to say: Be happy. It will change your life. It is your moral obligation to be happy or put on a happy face for others around you. This is your contribution to your world. 

Here are the moments I had to smile about. Tonight at dinner, Sam's contribution to Seth's dinner conversation was "Cows poop in the livingloom. You don't let cows in the livingloom."

 Three little boys on a Sunday afternoon.
 So good to have brothers.

If only they would stay little forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment