Sunday, December 25, 2011

"But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."
Luke 2:19

I sang a song in Church today. It was Mary's voice moments after her Son was born. One can only imagine what that moment was like for her. There have been nights with my own babies when I hum one line from this song. "but tonight you are mine." For two millenia, the only thoughts from Mary on the birth of This Child, are those from Luke 2. She kept and pondered these things in her blessed heart. She perceived a hint of what her Son was to bare, yet as she held the Baby Jesus in her arms, He was still just a baby. She was a mother and everything in her probably sang a love song for her sweet baby. So today, after 2,000 years, I tried to give voice to Mary with a song many others have sung. I made it through half the song, then could do nothing but barely whisper. If Mary had given voice that night, it was not loud. It was not harsh. It would have been soft and gentle for only her baby to hear.

Dear Mary,
I think I understand a little why you gave the apostles no words to write about this night. Who, who could write the heart of a mother? Who, but she, can understand that gentle, quiet, tender moment, the first moment? Thank you for sharing your Son with all the world.
Merry Christmas.


1 comment: