Thursday, August 19, 2010

For millennia, only women attended and assisted in births. Mothers, sisters, grandmothers, midwives (who was probably a close friend of someone you knew). Then, male doctors who thought they knew how it should be done invaded. Next, hospital system (at least in the US) excluded the child's father, giving ALL power to a medical profession, a male one at that. I don't know when it changed, how, or why, but fathers began attending the births of their children. Now, almost anyone can be there, when it is your turn.

I feel a bit rebellious, perhaps guilty and ungrateful, as I realize the only person I want there is not a woman, but Seth. He is my emotional stability. I think I can get through the pain without him, but the anxiety and fear that comes, is soothed by him as only he can for me. It must be the makings of a good man, because in my most vulnerable state, I only want him.

No comments:

Post a Comment