Lily made a book for a school assignment. I let her make it. Her words, her pictures, her decoration and design. I helped bind it with the yarn in the book kit. I didn't even help her glue. She read it to her class herself. Then I put it in the book box for her classmates to read, and there I saw 3 other books "made" by the other kids. I'm pretty sure kids don't write like that. Or cut like that. No child-like marks at all. Totally mom projects. For a moment, I felt a twinge of shame over Lily's creation. But the moment passed and I was proud of HER work and effort and happy to see her beam over what truly was hers. It's only kindergarten, but if I do it now, she may expect me to review and rewrite her college papers too. Then where would we be. No. She will have her confidence, and it will be grand.
Here is my favorite quote found on page 3, but don't take my word for it:
"With children," he argues, "they need that space not to be entertained or distracted. What boredom does is take away the noise ... and leave them with space to think deeply, invent their own game, create their own distraction. It's a useful trampoline for children to learn how to get by."
There is no shame in honesty and true creation. We can be proud of imagination and effort! Every Mom knows...
ReplyDeleteI agree, Kira. According to their definition, you are definitely not a helicopter mom.I really like how you encourage your kids to learn things themselves and let them be themselves. Your kids are super lucky to have you as a mom. Morgan and I always talk about how we want to do a lot of the things you do. (Good example of not being a helicopter mom. You taught your son how to climb down stairs.) :) You're the best!
ReplyDelete