Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Enough. Enough with negativism. I love my family. Rebekah loves fairies. Sam loves bananas.  Lily loves dancing. John loves to play sword-wielding Nutcracker. Seth loves Donald Duck.  

Rebekah doesn't take change well. I learned early on that she will worry and fret things to death months before they occur. Just don't tell her until you REALLY need to.  It's been forty-two days since we left California, and she is not happy. Remember how it felt to look around on the playground for someone to play with, or worrying about what you were going to do when it was time to go out to play, or wishing you could disappear for 15 minutes because of how humiliated you feel at not know what to do, who to do it with, or who would even invite you?  I do. Sometimes I hated recess.  It was supposed to be fun, but it wasn't always. I didn't hear all of these things from Rebekah, only some of them as she told them to Seth. Funny that she tells him things she doesn't tell me. That's another thing I learned early on about her.  My shy Rebekah is out and about in the world (elem.school) for all the world to ignore or frighten or love or adore.  This is the part of parenthood I fear most. She really is just a baby, but, then, not entirely.
 

The Left is an original by Rebekah.
The Right is a letter from Gabriella, a friend since Kindergarten.

3 comments:

  1. Well, at least you know what's wrong. Even if it is hard to hear. So sad...it's hard to be the new girl.It will take time, but being patient is sometimes hard.We love and miss you Rebekah! (and the rest of you guys!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just got out of my Human Development class and guess what we talked about today...exactly what you are expressing concerning Rebekah. It was a great and interesting class. We learned about shyness and the different types/levels, along with how to help such children. I guess we should talk sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet baby! We moved a number of times and pretty consistently it took all of us, the kids included, about one year to settle in emotionally. It will take time.

    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete