Sunday, December 7, 2008

Magic

I believe in magic. I spend a lot of time trying to convince Lily that "bippidi boppidi bo" magic is not real. A wand will not make your bed or clean your room. She won't believe me. She is convinced that Santa Claus will bring her a magical wand too. Oh. Childhood. Well. I do believe in the magic of Disney. I spend an awful lot of time and energy trying to fight the evil of the world...I fight my own fears and anxieties. We stopped at Disneyland on our way to Utah (yes, Disneyland is on the way to Utah especially if your company gives you free passes).

For a few magical moments throughout the day, the magic of Disney transformed the world and sent me back to a carefree, joy filled life that childhood ought to be. I watched and listened to the whole world turn beautiful and absolutely magical as music played on loud speakers, lights flickered, and castles gleamed. Even Santa made an appearance. Later Rebekah asked me if it was the real Santa because "sometimes people dress up in costumes at Disneyland and pretend." Really, the most magical moment of all was staged...

We stood in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle. It was late and we were on our way out of Disneyland. Suddenly, all the lights went black. A lovely floating melody began to play. Snow began to fall in 60 degree weather. There was a flicker, a glimmer, then the horizon lit up as the castle transformed. I was holding my very tired John who lifted his head and cried "OH!" My girls danced in the falling flakes of fake snow. And all the world was peaceful.

Even if I had paid for the tickets to Disneyland, this one moment would have made it worth every penny.

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I love the slideshow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fought the "magic" of Disney for years. It wasn't until I had children that I appreciated the transformation that can take place as you enter the gates. It doesn't last long, not for us grown-ups, but it is nice while it lasts.

    Your slideshow is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete